This is another one of those soups you make ahead of time and, when you’re ready to eat them, just add some cream and heat!
Unfortunately, Potato Leek soup is not particularly pretty. it’s sort of a greeny-yellow colour, in fact, with specks of pepper floating in the jar. But oh, man, this is some GOOD stuff to eat.
Here’s the recipe:
Potato Leek Soup
Makes approximately 7 quarts
2 pounds of yellow potatoes, peeled and chopped
2 pounds of leeks, washed and sliced (here are some tips!)
2 bunches of celery, washed and chopped
4 quarts of water
2 tablespoons of kosher salt
2 teaspoons of black pepper (or to taste)
- Combine the potatoes, leeks, celery, water and salt in a very large pot. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer until everything is soft and happy.
- Using an immersion blender, puree until smooth.
- Return to simmering for another 10 minutes.
- Fill quart jars, leaving 1 inch head space. Wipe rims, apply lids and rings.
- Process for 45 minutes at 11 pounds of pressure.
Add 4 tablespoons of heavy cream per quart. Heat the soup and serve!