In order to test my pressure canner, I decided to make something cheap and straight-forward. No point wasting a lot of expensive ingredients if I could avoid it. I scanned a bunch of websites and eventually settled on a recipe from a (‘secret’) canning group on Facebook: Hummus Chickpeas. I decided to do 7 pints.
Here’s the recipe:
Chickpeas to use for Hummus
3.5 cups of dried chickpeas
14 cloves of garlic (peeled)
1/2 teaspoon of garlic salt per pint
- Add 1/2 cup of chickpeas into the bottom of each pint jar.
- Place 2 cloves of garlic into each jar.
- Place 1/2 teaspoon of garlic salt in each jar.
- Fill each jar with hot water, leaving 1 inch of head space. Put lids and rings on.
- Pressure can at 10 pounds for 75 minutes.
To make hummus:
1 jar of chickpeas
2 tablespoons of tahini
1 tablespoon of lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon of cumin
- Add ingredients to blender. Blend until smooth.
- Add reserved liquid – 1 tablespoon at a time – until desired consistency is reached.
- Add salt, hot sauce, and any other additional spices or ingredients you like.
- Store in the fridge and use within 3 or 4 days.